Sath
MG
MG
realm_3
Forum Maintenance Pp_fou10
Regist Date : 2005-07-15
http://dotd6.net
Note ! Maintenance Day Planned 20 january 2010
Forum will be offline for several hours ...

Last edited by DarkSath on Sun 17 Jan 2010, 17:36; edited 1 time in total
Share this post on:reddit

Comments

Gimli.SoG
Sun 17 Jan 2010, 17:08Gimli.SoG
putting the day, then the month is just plaing confusing. maybe its just me but 1/20/2010 is so much easier to read.
Sath
Sun 17 Jan 2010, 17:36Sath
corrected for those who will think there are 20monthes in a year Smile
Gimli.SoG
Sun 17 Jan 2010, 18:19Gimli.SoG
eh, a little better
s3rius
Sun 17 Jan 2010, 19:50s3rius
Doesn't it sound kind of logical to put D/M/Y (a ascending order) instead of M/D/Y (totally Americanish random order) Razz
Gimli.SoG
Sun 17 Jan 2010, 20:14Gimli.SoG
well what about when someone asks you when your born? don't you say something to the effect of "I was born august 3rd, 1988". Instead of "I was born the 3rd of August in 1988."
Mishotaki
Sun 17 Jan 2010, 21:02Mishotaki
if someone asks me when i'm born, i tell them the way that my language uses.... day, month then year Razz
s3rius
Sun 17 Jan 2010, 21:08s3rius
Well, in German you say "3. August 1988", so it's really up the the language, as Mish said :p
But from a mathematical point of view 'our' order makes more sense.
Proxy
Sun 17 Jan 2010, 23:49Proxy
Wink Age matters little.. I can be as old or as young as I want to be.

However as an american I am used to that order though the ascending order does make sense tongue either way You just have to be careful how you put it because if it's set for a day that could be a month then you may run into trouble
Gimli.SoG
Mon 18 Jan 2010, 02:48Gimli.SoG
ya, i guess the language is what matters. for me it takes more time to read it as 20/1/2010 than 1/20/2010 cause that is the way im used to, always done it. with the day first i actually have to think about it. uh oh, im thinking again. AHHHH
Mishotaki
Mon 18 Jan 2010, 04:21Mishotaki
it's like your measurement systems.... way too complicated...

fractions of an inch sucks...
adding inches to the foot sucks...
then there is the yard, wich i have no clue where it comes from (other than football Razz)
the mile is also odd, and always on our speedmeters, wich is annoying...

and there is the quantities...
the ounce, wich is for shooters...
with a pint, other than the british beer size, i don't know any practical use...
then the gallon, wich is way too confusing with all the types of gallons...

there is also your temperature system, but that's more a matter of opinions and "precision"(wich is not that really important if you put a decimal in the celcius measurement)

most of the world has converted to the metric sstem... it's so much more simple to add and substract by 10 instead of having some different weird way of deciding that...

OMG.. i just went over to wikipedia... it's so much worse than i thought... there is all those units that i never heard of before... like a "thou" or a "furlong" and a "league"....

so it takes 1000 thou to make an inch
12 inches to make a foot
3 foots to make a yard
220 yards to make a furlong (who the fuck decided it took 220 yards for another unit.. it's dumb)
8 furlongs to make a mile
3 miles to make a league

that is completely fucked up and overly confusing... so... how many thou is there in a furlong? you have 30 seconds to answer without any help... like hell you could answer!
Eulogy
Mon 18 Jan 2010, 05:51Eulogy
ok well throwing my 2 cents into the ring... Military uses day/month/year but then half of us didnt follow that and used m/d/y lol and what can we expect from this "mantenance sath??
Gimli.SoG
Mon 18 Jan 2010, 06:23Gimli.SoG
lol, ya i was wondering the same thing.

@darksath do you host this site yourself??
Sath
Mon 18 Jan 2010, 09:00Sath
the forum is hosted on the ForumActif®️ servers .
this year we gonna be hosted on sc2-mod.net.

in this maintenance i plan to add a few visual aspect , theme selection if possible and changing images host.
Proxy
Mon 18 Jan 2010, 09:14Proxy
lmfao even in school never learned about furlongs or anything ... o.O

And sweet Can't wait to see the new site. Let me know if you need any help with anything.
s3rius
Mon 18 Jan 2010, 14:08s3rius
DarkSath wrote:this year we gonna be hosted on sc2-mod.net.
Hell fuckin' yeah!

Did you guys never hear of the 7-leagues boots? Wiki
It's originally a French folk lore, but it's been adopted to most languages and countries. This is the only time I've heard of the 'league' of a distance measurement, though.

Furlong originally referred to the length of the furrow in one acre of a plowed open field (5 furlong ~ 1 km, or 8 furlong = 1 mile) (Wiki)
So it does have some medieval meaning.

Europe had a lot of these, too, such as the Ell or the span - until the meter was introduced as a ten-millionth of the distance from the Equator to the North Pole.

Though complicated stuff like the yard, gallon and such is really a pain in the ass ( 1 US Gallon == 0.8 Imperial Gallons == 3.somewhat litres HUHWHUT?). I'm just happy that I don't have to struggle with it myself -.-"

Wikipedia wrote:Three nations have not officially adopted the International System of Units as their primary or sole system of measurement: Burma, Liberia, and the United States.
Sponsored content
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum