BG
BG
realm_1
Windows 7 Pp_off10
Regist Date : 2006-09-23

Windows 7 Empty Windows 7

Thu 07 Jan 2010, 20:51
I just installed Windows 7 on my computer... off course, ultimate Razz
i have many problems with it.... the main problem is that it seems it's an entity of it's own and doesn't care about the user, i feel like i've been hearing "I can't let you do that Dave" for the past 3 hours i've been on it...

why for the love of god is it trying to put my desktop in extended mode with dual screens with my secondary monitor (plugged in the secondary pot in my video card off course) as the primary screen? i've waited 10 mins during the installation while staring at a black screen(my second monitor is plugged in, but closed so it didn't receive the signal) simply because it decided that my main monitor isn't main enough? and that everytime it updates the driver, that my secondary monitor SHOULD BE my main monitor...

security through obscurity is the theme of Win7... opening the control panel barely give you options to modify what you have... clicking through multiple places and being lucky or SEARCH with KEYWORDS (that you might not know) to find the options you want/NEED SUCKS

the "new" windows update SUCKS, it seems that HAL is always behind you to stop you from installing any driver you want/NEED for your devices and redirects you to windows update.... i'm stuck with a 2 button mouse because my device works properly and does not need newer drivers... it's like a car with no windows, sure you can travel with it, but it sure sucks having the wind in your face and it sucks more when it rains or it's cold...

my windows XP installation is 1.5years old... it's slow as fuck to boot.... but is much faster than win7...

the login wallpaper is ugly.... i can't find how to remove that shit... come on HAL! let me change some basic stuff!

removing the special effects that i don't like seems to be impossible (yes i've clicked around and searched around and can't find how to disable those useless effects)

the start menu is ugly and impractical... browsing your programs through there isn't very well done at all...

MSN is 2 items on the taskbar... why the fuck is it 2 items? my profile and the program... if i only want one of them to show up, i can't see the list anymore.... that's STUPID...

you can guess that i've been looking around in it... trying to find how people say that it's so much better than XP and Vista... seriously, i can't find it... i've been fighting the OS the whole way for 3 hours and i'm back on XP because of the frustrations...

i installed Ubuntu on my older computer yesterday.... it's a lot like Win7.... the only thing missing is a computer trying to kill you(i feel like headbutting my monitor, i'm sure it's HAL trying to make me kill myself)... configuring Ubuntu is so much more simple and painless copared to that piece of shit by microsoft...
s3rius
s3rius
LTG
LTG
realm_3
Windows 7 Pp_adm10
Regist Date : 2006-02-11

Windows 7 Empty Re: Windows 7

Thu 07 Jan 2010, 21:42
Yay a ranting thread!

Mishotaki wrote:I just installed Windows 7 on my computer... off course, ultimate Razz
i have many problems with it.... the main problem is that it seems it's an entity of it's own and doesn't care about the user, i feel like i've been hearing "I can't let you do that Dave" for the past 3 hours i've been on it...
What's there to stop you from customizing apart from the UAC? That one's really a bitch though, but far less persistent than in Vista.

Mishotaki wrote:security through obscurity is the theme of Win7... opening the control panel barely give you options to modify what you have... clicking through multiple places and being lucky or SEARCH with KEYWORDS (that you might not know) to find the options you want/NEED SUCKS
Do what you do with Vista: Google for the answer and let others tell you where it is :p

Mishotaki wrote:the "new" windows update SUCKS, it seems that HAL is always behind you to stop you from installing any driver you want/NEED for your devices and redirects you to windows update.... i'm stuck with a 2 button mouse because my device works properly and does not need newer drivers...
What's HAL anyway? Apart from the fact that I seemed to have never met it I barely have any drivers installed other than those for graphics and video/audio codecs. All buttons of my 7-button mouse work fine since I plugged it in the first time, same goes for my keyboard which has additional buttons for the calculator, web browser, media player, volume control, a zoom slide etc. Some of these things don't work because I don't care to install the drivers though (but media player, calculator and volume control works, which is most important to me).

Mishotaki wrote:my windows XP installation is 1.5years old... it's slow as fuck to boot.... but is much faster than win7...
I got mixed information about this one.. personally I can't see much of a difference between Vista and 7.
A fried of mine, who'd installed 7 a while ago told me that he's booting way faster than with XP. It's probably very depended on the machine you have.

Mishotaki wrote:the login wallpaper is ugly.... i can't find how to remove that shit... come on HAL! let me change some basic stuff!
nom nom nom
It's not a easily accessible feature - but hey, it works !

Mishotaki wrote:removing the special effects that i don't like seems to be impossible (yes i've clicked around and searched around and can't find how to disable those useless effects)
Pretty sure it's possible. I am using TuneUp Utilities to change Windows effects (out of a habit). It's probably just hidden well somewhere :p

Mishotaki wrote:the start menu is ugly and impractical... browsing your programs through there isn't very well done at all...
Is it much different than the one from Vista? Well, I didn't like the start menu even in XP.. I'm using a custom MAC-type toolbar, the windows taskbar, some desktop icons and a few folder links to keep track of about everything.

Mishotaki wrote:MSN is 2 items on the taskbar... why the fuck is it 2 items? my profile and the program... if i only want one of them to show up, i can't see the list anymore.... that's STUPID...
That's not 7's fault - that's the shitty MSN for you. If I could I would purge this haunted piece of something that people call messenger from every pc in this world!
Or if you want you could just change back to the Vista/XP style of the taskbar.

What strikes me bad about 7:
-> The damn libraries that appear in the navigation of the explorer windows (got rid of it by removing some registry)
-> Lots of useless right-click context menu entries (kill'd them with regedit though)
-> The new windows media player can't be moved into the task bar anymore
-> The start menu could really be more customizable.. I can't even change the paths of the Music/Videos/Documents/... folders.
-> Something is really fucked up with my audio codes.. I can play them correctly but they're totally screwed up if I try to edit them with audiacity.
-> A lot of stuff can only be changed through registry.. espl. some of their new features that I don't like (see above)

What I like:
-> New taskbar system is awesome. No more crowding of stupid icons.
-> Combatibility seems better. Really, there was almost no program I couldn't install as of yet.
-> That new infobar left of the clock goes well with the changes of the taskbar.
-> Better performance than Vista. 7 really eats less cpu .. because of that browsing through windows is more fluent than in Vista.
-> Seems to blue-screen a lot less than Vista. Even Xp died on me more often.. usually that is.. still managed to kill 7 a few times, too.
-> The file displaying in windows explorers is better than in Vista. At least in the List-type display style which I'm using most of the time.
-> Vista got really ugly copying bugs for me, usually when trying to move a lot of files on to one of my other drives. Hasn't happened with 7 yet.

All in all I can tell you that 7 is the OS for the REAL people. For those who don't fear to screw with the registry and to search google to achieve their goals! Honestly.. that sucks, but it feels kind of rewarding, too :]
Mishotaki
Mishotaki
BG
BG
realm_1
Windows 7 Pp_off10

Fri 08 Jan 2010, 02:46
HAL is from 2001 space odissey... it's a science fiction cult movie, you should realy see it, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU4TQ1NTo50&feature=related

no man should skip on that movie.. it's like skipping on the original Star Wars and wondering what "the force" is...
Gimli.SoG
Gimli.SoG
BG
BG
realm_1
Windows 7 Pp_off10
Regist Date : 2009-07-29
http://www.dotd-stars.com

Fri 08 Jan 2010, 06:30
i have not yet gotten to play with windows 7, but i've heard good things about it for everyone i've talked to about it. I must find out for myself!
Mishotaki
Mishotaki
BG
BG
realm_1
Windows 7 Pp_off10

Fri 08 Jan 2010, 12:10
i got myself the tuneup program... it really helped remove some of the crap... but there is still some stuff that i don't like...
Gimli.SoG
Gimli.SoG
BG
BG
realm_1
Windows 7 Pp_off10

Sat 09 Jan 2010, 16:52
Well I just finished reformating my computer and putting Windows 7 on it. I have to say it is working quite nicely because it actually read and installed my iPod, something I was arguing with for several hours yesterday on Windows XP. The only thing I noticed I forgot to backup so far were the custom commands for the channel bots. Besides that I am pretty much back to normal operating status ^.^
Proxy
Proxy
LTC
LTC
realm_1
Windows 7 Pp_off10
Regist Date : 2009-06-02

Sun 10 Jan 2010, 08:38
Windows 7 is still sitting on my external drive ... I haven't gotten around to installing it yet...HM
Gimli.SoG
Gimli.SoG
BG
BG
realm_1
Windows 7 Pp_off10

Sun 10 Jan 2010, 09:13
you should try it, working good for me ^.^
Lisianthus
Lisianthus
COL
COL
realm_3
Windows 7 Pp_off10
Regist Date : 2006-11-03

Sun 10 Jan 2010, 14:34
If one doesn't like the control panel, enter GODMODE

To enter "GodMode," one need only to create a new folder and then rename the folder to the following:

GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}
Mishotaki
Mishotaki
BG
BG
realm_1
Windows 7 Pp_off10

Sun 10 Jan 2010, 15:33
NICE! that helped even more ^_^
now my windows7 finally can look like windows95 again! Razz
now they only need to release 88 more releases to catch up to it Razz
s3rius
s3rius
LTG
LTG
realm_3
Windows 7 Pp_adm10
Regist Date : 2006-02-11

Sun 10 Jan 2010, 19:53
Lisianthus wrote:If one doesn't like the control panel, enter GODMODE

To enter "GodMode," one need only to create a new folder and then rename the folder to the following:

GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

Lol that's some nifty trick :0 it even shows up in the navbar.
Proxy
Proxy
LTC
LTC
realm_1
Windows 7 Pp_off10
Regist Date : 2009-06-02

Sun 10 Jan 2010, 23:37
Hmm well mish I found an article you may just like, Let your eyeballs sink into this
Gimli.SoG
Gimli.SoG
BG
BG
realm_1
Windows 7 Pp_off10

Mon 11 Jan 2010, 00:23
rofl!!!! to funny
Mishotaki
Mishotaki
BG
BG
realm_1
Windows 7 Pp_off10

Mon 11 Jan 2010, 02:22
Proxy wrote:Hmm well mish I found an article you may just like, Let your eyeballs sink into this
hehehe cute ^_^
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum