s3rius
LTG
LTG
realm_3
Left 4 Dead Pp_adm10
Regist Date : 2006-02-11

Left 4 Dead Empty Left 4 Dead

Sun 16 Nov 2008, 23:53
I've been able to test out the new zombie survival game made by Turtle Rock Studios (also CS:CZ, CS:S) - for those of you who don't know the game:

It seems a virus has infected the majority of the game's inhabitants, except for a few who for whatever reason are immune. Those resistant Survivors must then battle their way through gangs of Infected to safety, using a variety of guns and explosives. Up to eight players can join a server to play, with four on the Survivor side and four playing as special Infected monstrosities. Since a few days a demo version can be downloaded through Steam to test out the first two levels and get the details on exactly how this game works.

Left 4 Dead's gameplay centers on cooperative mechanics, though mostly on the Survivor side. When you are alone you can easily be taken out by one of the four infected bosses who posses unique abilities that you can only get rid of in cooperation with at least one more survivor. The hunter, for example, can barely be distinguished from a normal zombie, but he can leap 15 meters far and pin you to the ground. If no survivor is close to help you, he will slowly rip you apart.
In singleplay, the surprisingly intelligent AI takes control of the other survivors, whereas in multiplayer you can join an already running game and take control of one of the AI survivors.

The game's five map campaigns each take around an hour to complete if you know what you're doing. We had the opportunity to play through the the first two levels of the Hospital campaign a few times, where the main goal was to clamber through ruined urban areas, access the hospital, then scurry to the roof and get picked up by a rescue chopper. Other than that goal, the game doesn't seem to have any real storyline, it's mainly about shooting. There were a few action set pieces in the campaign, including a rather treacherous elevator ascent where zombies poured into the car through an overhead vent, and the final rooftop defense. During the end battle, the Survivors are set up in a tower and given a stationary gun. Wave after wave of zombie then spawns to try and wipe out the party. If they're successfully taken out, the remaining Survivors will need to bring down two hulking Tank Infected, which is no easy feat.

Moving across each map will, according to Turtle Rock, be different every time as the Infected mob's positions will be randomized. After making multiple trips through each map, we noticed we'd get mobbed at different times, so we had to stay extra frosty when creeping through the dilapidated environments. To survive the onslaught of blood-crazed Infected, you and your team of three will need to stick close together for multiple reasons. First and most obvious, the more bullets you're simultaneously firing at an enemy, the faster they're going to go down. Second, you'll need to revive any fallen squadmates should they take one too many zombie slashes.
In Left 4 Dead, taking too much damage doesn't result in an immediate death. Instead you fall to the ground and have a "bleed-out" timer, at the end of which you die. Teammates will need to be aware of who goes down, as a fallen comrade can still take damage once they hit the floor.

Uhh, I've already written too much I guess.. Well, L4D features huge amounts of zombies, an awesome atmosphere, some great co-op and a lot of fun!

You can download a free demo version through Valve's Steam network, or you can download it elsewhere (in this case you won't be able to play online). I believe the demo version only works until tuesday - that is because on tuesday the full version is in the stores. I'm actually thinking about buying it..

The game's intro:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCM9RDkHSEM
Some game footage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7fNZI1wU04
Mishotaki
Mishotaki
BG
BG
realm_1
Left 4 Dead Pp_off10
Regist Date : 2006-09-23

Left 4 Dead Empty Re: Left 4 Dead

Mon 17 Nov 2008, 03:47
hum did you copy/paste that or you got an early full game tryout? cuz those aren't the levels where we play in the demo... Razz

the game is great... i played quite a lot and i baught the pre-order after trying it ^_^
s3rius
s3rius
LTG
LTG
realm_3
Left 4 Dead Pp_adm10

Mon 17 Nov 2008, 09:52
The demo only features two out of those levels. I haven't played the others, but I've seen a lot of footage, e.g. from the defense of the rooftop.
But you're right, I've copied the middle part because I was to lazy to write ^.^

Last edited by s3rius on Wed 19 Nov 2008, 23:54; edited 1 time in total
Asgard_Ragna
Asgard_Ragna
COL
COL
realm_3
Left 4 Dead Pp_off10
Regist Date : 2006-01-20

Mon 17 Nov 2008, 13:42
I played the demo with 3 friends during the whole weekend. We had a hell lot of fun and beat the game at expert difficulty zombie

We are looking forward to buying the full game.
s3rius
s3rius
LTG
LTG
realm_3
Left 4 Dead Pp_adm10

Mon 17 Nov 2008, 20:05
Huhu, then we could play a game or two =)
Asgard_Ragna
Asgard_Ragna
COL
COL
realm_3
Left 4 Dead Pp_off10

Tue 18 Nov 2008, 13:37
s3rius wrote:Huhu, then we could play a game or two =)

Yeah, but I don't know when I will buy it. Atm I'm looking for a site that sells it uncut and for a good price.
IamDjRosette
IamDjRosette
PVT
PVT
realm_1
Left 4 Dead Pp_mem10
Regist Date : 2008-11-19

Wed 19 Nov 2008, 12:16
Iam also interrested in left4dead and iam sure i go buy the original online it will be really funny so guys we open a new Clan^^
RainBird
SSG
SSG
realm_1
Left 4 Dead Pp_mem10
Regist Date : 2007-09-19

Wed 19 Nov 2008, 16:30
Btw, How about graphics? Are they good?
Asgard_Ragna
Asgard_Ragna
COL
COL
realm_3
Left 4 Dead Pp_off10

Wed 19 Nov 2008, 18:33
RainBird wrote:Btw, How about graphics? Are they good?

Nothing compared to Crysis, but still it fits the game very well.
RainBird
SSG
SSG
realm_1
Left 4 Dead Pp_mem10
Regist Date : 2007-09-19

Wed 19 Nov 2008, 19:30
Good to know, I guess Im buying it as soon as I find it Smile +^^
s3rius
s3rius
LTG
LTG
realm_3
Left 4 Dead Pp_adm10

Wed 19 Nov 2008, 19:39
Well, you can catch a glimpse of the graphics in the videos attached to my first post. It's about HL-2 graphics, though the faces look awesome. They're Crysis niveau.
Lisianthus
Lisianthus
COL
COL
realm_3
Left 4 Dead Pp_off10
Regist Date : 2006-11-03
http://www.dotd-stars.com

Wed 19 Nov 2008, 23:36
Great review there s3rius. If you wanna read more you can read a very good article here: http://pc.ign.com/articles/760/760290p1.html
Lettijeesus
Lettijeesus
SGFC
SGFC
realm_1
Regist Date : 2009-04-11

Sat 11 Apr 2009, 19:07
I've heard a lot of good things about this game, but it hurts my heart to hear someine say that it's the first mutliplayer fps to use ideas, such as dead players turn to zombies etc. That credit belongs to the creators of the original Zombie Panic, a freeware mod that goes way back to the original Half-life.
Mishotaki
Mishotaki
BG
BG
realm_1
Left 4 Dead Pp_off10

Sun 12 Apr 2009, 00:38
wow.. this is reallky old.. we never got back to it...

after playing it a lot, i got most of the achievements, and i find it very repetitive and boring now... 4 maps is way too low and i shouldn't have baught onto that, i know all maps by heart and i don't feel like playing anymore and it's been months since i played...

they will finally release a SDK and 2 new maps fairly soon, but i really shouldn't have baught it, it was a waste of money paying 45$USD for so little content...
Mishotaki
Mishotaki
BG
BG
realm_1
Left 4 Dead Pp_off10

Wed 22 Apr 2009, 04:41
well the DLC is out.. played it for a while... one map... one mode that is enabled on closed locations of all maps...

it's nice... but very repetitive and not that good...

i still paid too much for that game... i hope that with the SKD we'll have more maps to play because this sucks right now...
Die_Plz
Die_Plz
MSG
MSG
realm_1
Regist Date : 2009-05-26

Sat 30 May 2009, 23:30
Hey i just bought the game and my username is Die_Plz plzz send invites ^^
aChiiies
aChiiies
2LT
2LT
realm_2
Regist Date : 2009-02-07

Sun 31 May 2009, 07:14
that game seems awsome
Mishotaki
Mishotaki
BG
BG
realm_1
Left 4 Dead Pp_off10

Sun 31 May 2009, 07:29
aChiiies wrote:that game seems awsome
it's awesome... but it has a way too small number of maps...
40$ is still a fairly high price for a game with "4" maps... (5 different areas in a map)
sure, they added the survival mode, but it's not that interesting....

after playing it since it launched, i'd pay 30$ for it, not more...
i believe i haven't played since the day of the update and it was only a couple hours trying out the new mode....
4.H-Pestilence-
4.H-Pestilence-
SGM
SGM
realm_1
Left 4 Dead Pp_mem10
Regist Date : 2009-04-30

Sun 31 May 2009, 08:22
Mishotaki wrote:
it's awesome... but it has a way too small number of maps...
40$ is still a fairly high price for a game with "4" maps... (5 different areas in a map)
sure, they added the survival mode, but it's not that interesting....
after playing it since it launched, i'd pay 30$ for it, not more...
i believe i haven't played since the day of the update and it was only a couple hours trying out the new mode....
I bought Killing Floor for $20, half the price of L4D and I'd say that atleast for the money, it was totally worth it. It was even cheaper at only $15 if you pre-ordered, and there are already a number of custom maps out for it, which are downloaded in game of course. It was also recently updated. The gameplay does get repetitive, of course but seriously what doesn't? The perks system adds some incentive to actually play the game as the perks help you out, and you can level them up, unlike L4D in which there is nothing similar. Not only that, but you can pick from a set amount of skins that your character will be in game, either policemen skins or soldier skins, but I've noticed one of the police skins looks ALOT like an SAS(Special Air Service) operator.It's also like Counter-Strike in the sense that there are "waves" in each match you play, and after each wave you can spend a minute to stock up on ammo, armor and weapons. Also, throwing money around is just plain cool. LOADS OF MONEY!
I piss out money! See video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCpHduP3inE&feature=related
The only bad thing about KF is that it's ONLY available on Steam, so if you don't have a credit card or debit card, then tough luck.
Die_Plz
Die_Plz
MSG
MSG
realm_1

Sun 31 May 2009, 16:22
huh i bought this for 32.09 US dollars >_>
s3rius
s3rius
LTG
LTG
realm_3
Left 4 Dead Pp_adm10

Sun 31 May 2009, 16:34
Die_Plz wrote:huh i bought this for 32.09 US dollars >_>
You, dear Sir, have been ripped-off.
Die_Plz
Die_Plz
MSG
MSG
realm_1

Sun 31 May 2009, 22:37
yah today i just noticed it is repetitive
Takayanagi
Takayanagi
MSG
MSG
realm_7
Regist Date : 2009-04-12

Mon 14 Sep 2009, 07:40
lol it may be repetitive buts its fun on vs mode =)
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum