Go down
c0nc3pts
c0nc3pts
PVT
PVT
realm_7
A more convenient hotkey for cancel button? Pp_fre10
Regist Date : 2010-01-24

A more convenient hotkey for cancel button? Empty A more convenient hotkey for cancel button?

Sun 24 Jan 2010, 15:50
Yes, I mean the cancel button. It's default is the ESC button, however, I find that button to be inconvenient since it is further away such that I have to move my left hand just to press the ESC button and to go back to the main skills,

It's like, if you try to sprint (D, D), and then you have to click the cancel to go back to the main page, the tempo is kind of broken.

So if you could assign a better hotkey to cancel button, let's say letter 'A', I feel it would be much more convenient to our fellow DOTD gamers' zombie hunting delight.
s3rius
s3rius
LTG
LTG
realm_3
A more convenient hotkey for cancel button? Pp_adm10
Regist Date : 2006-02-11

A more convenient hotkey for cancel button? Empty Re: A more convenient hotkey for cancel button?

Sun 24 Jan 2010, 16:38
I don't think I can directly change the Cancel hotkey from ESC to something else. It's hardcoded to ESC.
Therefor I'd have to add a new spell to the skill menu, but that'd take up a slot (some classes don't have free slots anymore) and you'd have cast delay.

I, for one, don't have problems quickly hitting the ESC key with my middle finger.

Maybe there's a way to reassign the button through custom keys. I'll see if it's possible and then edit my post here.

EDIT:
Yes, it's actually possible!

Follow these steps:
1) Go to your WC3 folder, there you'll see a file called "CustomKeysSample.txt"
2) Open it and search for the line "[CmdCancel]"
3) Two lines under that one, you'll see the "Hotkey=512", change it to whatever key you want, e.g. "Hotkey=A".
4) Save and close the file, then rename it to "CustomKeys.txt" (or make a copy of it and rename the copy, if you want to).
5) Start WC3 and go to Options. Search for an option to activate custom keys. (Something like "Allow Custom Keys" or so).

From then on ALL the maps you play will have the hotkey 'A' (or whatever you chose) as a cancel action. To turn off the custom keys either change the setting in the Options again or simple delete/rename the CustomKeys.txt.

By the way, you can change pretty much every standard wc3 hotkey this way.
Proxy
Proxy
LTC
LTC
realm_1
A more convenient hotkey for cancel button? Pp_off10
Regist Date : 2009-06-02

A more convenient hotkey for cancel button? Empty Re: A more convenient hotkey for cancel button?

Sun 24 Jan 2010, 19:42
Well that is a tasty bit o' info. where did you run across this at?
Gimli.SoG
Gimli.SoG
BG
BG
realm_1
Regist Date : 2009-07-29
http://www.dotd-stars.com

Sun 24 Jan 2010, 23:31
i think s3rius just went ahead and completely modded his own version of warcraft
c0nc3pts
c0nc3pts
PVT
PVT
realm_7

A more convenient hotkey for cancel button? Empty Customkeys.txt

Mon 01 Feb 2010, 01:30
I listened to s3rius advise, and modded my cancel key to A. Yup its great, however, emergency treatment also uses A, can you change it to.. let say Q?
Gimli.SoG
Gimli.SoG
BG
BG
realm_1

Mon 01 Feb 2010, 02:01
now you see the problem with changing default hotkeys, i just use esc
s3rius
s3rius
LTG
LTG
realm_3

Mon 01 Feb 2010, 14:09
c0nc3pts wrote:I listened to s3rius advise, and modded my cancel key to A. Yup its great, however, emergency treatment also uses A, can you change it to.. let say Q?
Weell, their hotkeys are based on their position in the spell book. I can hardly do it differently on behalf of one player.

You could set cancel to 'V', which would fit it's position nicely, iirc.
.. or you use Esc :]
Gimli.SoG
Gimli.SoG
BG
BG
realm_1

Tue 02 Feb 2010, 03:20
ya, s3rius already went and changed the officer ability hotkey to z... just makes beta tests more interesting!
c0nc3pts
c0nc3pts
PVT
PVT
realm_7

Thu 04 Feb 2010, 03:10
That's good to hear Smile
Gimli.SoG
Gimli.SoG
BG
BG
realm_1

Thu 04 Feb 2010, 04:31
he aims to please
s3rius
s3rius
LTG
LTG
realm_3

Thu 04 Feb 2010, 12:25
And I please where I aim xD

Well, yea the key in question couldn't be assigned to the place it actually belongs to ('S') since it would overlap with the standard command buttons.

'Z' is somewhat alright, although quite a difference depending on what you have.. a QWERTZ or QWERTY keyboard.

Thought of the day: Success is measured in blood; yours or your enemy´s.

Last edited by s3rius on Thu 04 Feb 2010, 15:49; edited 1 time in total
Gimli.SoG
Gimli.SoG
BG
BG
realm_1

Thu 04 Feb 2010, 12:58
s3rius wrote:And I please where I aim xD
player!
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum